This week I am 34 weeks pregnant and boy do I feel it! Bump seems to have had a sudden growth spur and everyone says I am now looking much bigger than last time, ironic when I have been saying all along that I feel small! Think she’s been listening and packing on the pounds!
I was told by a midwife 4 weeks ago that they thought she was measuring small, like my daughter had been, so they booked me in for a growth scan this week and I’ve been apprehensive about what to expect. However it seems that I am right in thinking that baby has suddenly piled on the pounds, as instead of measuring small we are measuring a week and a half over! She’s already almost the weight my daughter was when she was born so I don’t think I need worry any more about suddenly being told she’s being brought early like my daughter was!
Having read my “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” book and looking at the curve on my maternity notes it appears therefore that my bump is actually measuring above average. I feel this too as I am at the point where I am struggling to get off my sofa, turn over in bed and put my shoes, socks, tights and trousers on! All makes for comedy moments. Hubby has actually referred to me as “Moby Dick”, an “Old Ford Cortina” (apparently I am ok once I get going) and “the raising of the Titanic”! We have laughed that last time round I felt like a walking Timote advert and this time round it’s more like Atilla the Mum! It’s a good job I love him and have my sense of humour still!
Speaking of sense of humour I am keeping it but it is being tested to the extreme with some fairly normal, but also some crappy side effects!
- I am still not sleeping (as I haven’t since week 8 so that’s over 26 weeks!) and I am generally awake every hour during the night. Still having been at work and looking after a toddler (as well as having both hubby and my little girl ill in the run up to and over the Christmas period), my energy levels in general are very, very low. I’ve got the third trimester slump and am out of breath just walking up the stairs and it feels like once I had got Christmas and New Year out of the way I just flat lined! However I have to say for the last 2-3 nights I have actually woken up less and got a bit more sleep so there may be light at the end of the tunnel or I may just be past the point of extreme exhaustion! lol!
- I am suffering from horrendous heartburn still and the last couple of days I have rather attractively had acid reflux! It comes from nowhere, without warning and frankly has been disgusting. My husband’s face was a picture when we were in the car the other day. Not attractive!
- Because of the heartburn I often have to go to sleep sat up. However of late when I do this baby wakes up and uses my bladder as a trampoline and it’s really uncomfortable. My stomach looks like a scene from alien and I just can’t get to sleep, so I try to compromise between laying on my side, but slightly upright and this does work a little.
- On a night in our room would look so funny to an outsider too as we only have a double bed and because I have so many pillows, and my hubby is quite broad, we just can’t comfortably fit side by side, so have in the last week or so resorted to top and tailing! So romantic!
- I am suddenly getting cramp and am regularly jumping up out of my seat or out of bed in the early hours of the morning hopping around the room which my husband is finding quite amusing. After over 5 minutes of staggering around at 1.15am the other morning whilst my hubby laid in an unconscious slumber I shouted at him to get up and help me, begging him to rub the side of my foot and encourage my little toe to go back to what remotely resembled a normal position! He was in a state of shock bless him but desperate times need desperate measures and I couldn’t reach my foot!
- I lent forward a few weeks ago and felt a pull in my calve. Since then I have had lovely long purple stretch marks down my leg! I have a horrible feeling I am stuck with them too! That will look attractive in the summer! None on my tummy, but lovely big ones down my leg!
- I still have this cold virus, it hit on New Years Day and I haven’t been able to shake it off, I’ve gone from the constant coughing (which really did my pelvic floor no good at all and made me feel incontinent!) to being totally blocked up and having sinusitis one minute and going through a box of tissues the next and the sore throat has kicked in in the last few days. My blog posts have dropped off a little as I have been dragging myself up to bed early most nights just to try and get some rest! Such a pain when you can’t take anything other than linctus syrup! I have permanently had my head over a bowl of hot water and menthol crystals over the last few days and even that has’t helped!
- I’ve also got another issue which has arisen, but the docs don’t think it’s anything to worry about and probably pregnancy / hormone related but I am having to have hospital appointments just to check so will be happier when that’s dealt with and I know what it is.
On the plus side! Yes there is a plus side! Honest!
After a sudden panic at 30 weeks I went into overdrive to get things ready for the new arrival. All my baby clothes, moses basket, sheets etc were in the loft so I set to work getting everything together and buying anything I might need and I have finally got there.
- I’ve washed and boxed up 5 different sizes of baby clothes (6lb, 7.5lb, 9lb, 10lb and 0-3 months) as I had no idea what I might need.
- I’ve washed existing and bought new bedding / sleeping bags / moses basket mattress.
- We have sorted our new mode of baby transport (more to follow on that one).
- We’ve got out our Britax car seat that we bought for my daughter. However the handle is seeming a little wonky so I’m hoping it’s ok!
- Nappies and new bibs have been bought
- My mother in law is buying some new Tommee Tippee Bottles for my planned combination feeding. I used Tommee Tippee last time when I finished breast feeding and they were great.
- I have my lovely SnuggleBundl prize at the ready for my post c-section.
- Hubby is converting our daughter’s old cotbed back into the cot.
I nearly did myself an injury running around doing it all as well as Christmas, but with all of the above done, my hospital bag packed and my maternity leave started, I am hoping that I can get a little bit of rest, kick the bugs into touch and enjoy some quality time with my little girl and hubby before baby arrives! Hubby gave me a lovely lie in the other morning and took my little girl out for an hour or so. They returned with some lunch for us all and some lovely flowers for me. It really cheered me up 🙂
I am very conscious that our lives are going to change dramatically again and I have to be honest my main focus has been on my little girl, how she will feel, react and cope and how I will feel about it all too. I am looking forward to meeting our new addition but my thoughts have been fairly set in one direction. I kind of feel bad for that, but am hoping that now I am on my maternity leave and have pretty much everything else sorted that my mind will turn to my impending arrival too.
My daughter and I have talked about what her baby sister might bring her, and of all things it looks like the game Hungry Hippos may be on the cards! I have also seen a few lovely prints about Sister’s too so think I may have to invest in one of those!
I have to say (probably for the umpteenth time) this pregnancy has been very, very different to my first and very hard but the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight and I feel so much better knowing that we are almost there.
I have my next check up in two weeks time and will get a date for my elective c-section then. I am told it is likely that it will be 13th or 14th February so I have told hubby that I will of course be expecting an extra special combined baby / valentines gift! 🙂