Last week I received a message from the lovely Mummy From the Heart regarding a new campaign called Thrive: Food.Farming.Future. It’s being run by One.org, a grass roots campaigning and advocacy organisation that is giving a voice to those that are not heard at the moment, and for whom Mummy From the Heart is a mum ambassador.
The campaign, which will run until 2015, calls on each of us to play our part to break the cycle of hunger and poverty, by tackling the root causes.
Millions of people world wide are locked in a vicious cycle of hunger and poverty. Poverty means parents can’t feed their families the nutritious food they need and this can leave children hungry and malnourished. Malnutrition leads to poor development and shorter, less productive lives, which in turn means less likelihood of escaping poverty and so the cycle starts again.
- More than a billion people, that’s 1 in 5 of the world’s population (20%), live on less than 79p a day ($1.25), meaning a billion people will go to bed hungry tonight.
- 178 million children won’t reach their full development potential before their 3rd birthday and as a result their little brains and bodies will never fully recover.
ONE is calling on African leaders, donor governments and the private sector to focus on thirty of the world’s poorest countries that have smart agriculture and nutrition plans, which are tested and affordable, and to put them into practice. These plans could work, but for them to do so they need political leadership and financial backing and the Thrive: Food.Farming.Future campaign is insisting on both.
The aim of the campaign is to use our collective voices and to make a noise to urge leaders to take this action, hoping that by 2015:
- We could see 15 million fewer children chronically malnourished
- and 50 million people lifted out of extreme poverty
As a mother I know I would do anything to help a child who is hungry or in need, no child should ever have to suffer, every child should have love and support and a voice. Many of the children in the world’s poorest countries don’t have a voice so together we can give them one and help save their lives.
How you can help:
- Sign up and offer your voice to ONE.org We, the general population, can help them to put pressure on African leaders, donor governments and the private sector. ONE’s strength is its collective action – one plus one plus one quickly adds up to a lion’s roar.
- Spread the word with a blog post and through other social media – please put a post on your blog and / or share about the ONE Thrive Food.Farming.Future campaign through your other social media outlets. See this Google Doc for some simple information you can use in your post. If you do blog about this then please link back to Mummy From the Heart as the campaign can use her blog post full of linked up posts to show to our Government and influential institutions that there is a strength of opinion in our blogsphere. Our voices count! (Tweet #LetsThrive)
- And finally Sign the petition
- Let’s Thrive (one.org)
- ONE Act a Week: Think critically about our ‘bold global plan’ (one.org)